Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Homemade Ricotta

Awhile ago I found this recipe for Homemade Ricotta from Chef Anne Burrell.  I just love her!  I had some milk I wanted to use up so I thought that I would try it.
The curds are very small.  I expected something larger like what we got in Sicily.  More like cottage cheese.

 It is not as easy as the recipe states.  I made it twice and got different results.  These photos are from the first batch.  You cook it a lot longer than the recipe says.


In the first batch I threw out a lot of liquid.

The second batch I used more vinegar and did not cook it as long and it didn't drain well through the paper towels. - you NEED cheesecloth for this recipe. But I didn't throw out as much liquid.  My husband said the cheese tasted good.  He liked it.


Ingredients

  • 6 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, heavy cream, vinegar and salt. Place the pan over a medium heat and slowly bring the milk mixture to a simmer. Simmer the milk mixture for 1 to 2 minutes, you will see curds begin to form.

Line a mesh strainer with several layers of damp cheesecloth. Gently pour the curds and whey through into the strainer and let drain for 15 minutes. Gather the cheesecloth together and gently squeeze some of the excess liquid from the ricotta. Transfer the ricotta to a serving dish and drizzle with big fat finishing oil.

No comments: