Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey Soup

Today I made my Gumbo Soup with leftover turkey and the broth from the turkey carcass.   It was delish!!  Everybody should try this recipe.
Yesterday I made a Turkey Rice Soup.

I saved the drippings from the turkey. I refrigerated it.  I got a ton of what I call schmaltz.  I don't know if that is completely correct.  It's the fat that rises to the top of the broth.  I had over a quart of broth which was very flavorful.

Turkey Rice Soup
couple of tablespoons of schmaltz or olive oil
3 large carrots, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1/2 c wild rice, cooked to package directions
chopped cooked turkey (I probably added a 2 cups or so)
5-6 sliced hard boiled eggs
turkey broth (at least a quart)**

I sauteed the carrots and celery in the schmaltz until it was well cooked. 
Added the broth. Let it simmer awhile.
Add the turkey and rice.  Simmer some more.
Add the eggs and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Enjoy!!

Both soups are lovely on a chilly day.

**Substitute: chicken broth

No comments: