Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Soup

Last night after the turkey cooled, I picked off all the edible bits, refrigerated them and put the bones into a stock pot covered them with water and let it simmer for a few hours.  This morning I strained all the bits and bones out and put the broth back into the pot and reduced it by half. In a small pot I hard boiled 5 eggs. In another pan I sauted a small chopped onion in some olive oil and bit of butter.  Then I added 3 small carrots which I cut into coins.  I chopped up 3 ribs of celery and added that to the onions and carrots.  I salted and peppered them and left it to cook until the onions were translucent.
After the broth was reduced, I added the vegetables to it and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.  Then I tasted it and added a bit more salt.  I had a can of corn that I had picked up for $.39 cents last week.  Sophia opened the can and drained the water and added the corn to the broth.  I also broke up some fettucine (about a 1/4 of a box) into pieces.  I picked out some turkey and cubed it and added it to the broth.
I let this simmer for 1/2 hour and I added the eggs which I had peeled and sliced.  I don't use the yolks but you can if you like.
Again I tasted the soup and added a bit more salt and a little pepper and about a teaspoon of parsley.

Boy, that's some tasty soup!!  Yummy.

No comments: