Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

What the heck is a brussel sprout?  According to Wikipedia - The Brussels sprout is a cultivar of wild cabbage grown for its edible buds. The leafy green vegetables are typically 2.5–4 cm (0.98–1.6 in) in diameter and look like miniature cabbages. The sprout is Brassica oleracea, in the "gemmifera" group of the family Brassicaceae. Although named after the city in Belgium, few historians believe the plant originated there.
I don't like brussel sprouts...BUT my family does.  I would cook them once in a while because they wanted them. I like roasting vegetables.  I think it makes the vegetables taste so much better AND you are not boiling away all the vitamins when they are roasted.
So a few weeks ago I thought why don't I roast the sprouts with some garlic oil.  I did and they were fantastic!  I even eat them!!

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1 bag frozen brussel sprouts, thawed and sliced in half longwise
2-3 T olive oil OR the oil of your choice
3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced

Place the oil and the garlic in a small saute pan over medium heat.  You only need to infuse the oil with the garlic.  It only takes a few minutes.
Place the halved sprouts in a bowl and pour the cooled oil over them. Toss
Place on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes until fork tender!
Eat!!

No comments: