These are absolutely delicious! You can make as an appetizer or a dinner entree depending on the size of mushroom you buy. We had them for dinner.
3/4 -1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
1/2 half large onion, diced
1/4-1/2 c bell peppers, diced, any color
1/2 c almond flour/meal
1 egg, beaten
3 8 oz boxes of mushrooms
4 T butter OR oil of your choice
1 c shredded cheese, your preference
Salt and Pepper
1. Add 1 T butter to a medium pan. Add onion and peppers. Saute until almost soft.
2. Remove sausage from casing. Break up and add to pan. Cook until brown.
3. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
5. Melt 3 T butter in a saucepan and dip the mushroom cap in the butter. Place on a lined baking sheet.
6. Place the sausage mixture in a large bowl. Add the almond flour, egg, cheese and seasonings. Mix well.
7. Fill the mushrooms with the sausage mixture.
8. Bake at 350F for 25- 30 minutes.
9. Serve warm.
You can make many variations on this recipe with different sausages and cheeses.
Before they went into the oven.
I made about 35 mushrooms. If you have larger mushrooms, you will get less.