Friday, December 3, 2010

Making Lasagna

Before we moved to Sicily, I used the lasagna noodles you had to boil first.  I always ended up scorching my fingers, then you has to cut the noodles to fit the pan.  Oh, it was just a pain in the butt.  I had tried the no boil noodles but they were yucky and very salty. Like this one http://pasta-products-sangiorgio.newworldpasta.com/Oven-Ready-Lasagna-ZX00334006018100CT00ZX28....not successful.



 This is what I use for lasagna.  My pasta sauce, bechamel sauce, Barilla Lasagna (no boil), Italian cheeses, and a pan.
First you put a small amount of olive oil and red sauce on the bottom of the pan.  Then put in a layer of noodles.  You may need to break the ends to get the pasta to fit into the pan you choose to use.  With this pasta you can have some space between the pasta because it will expand while baking.  Your sauce does not need to have a thick consistency.  The pasta needs to absorb liquid while baking.

 The first layer: pasta, sauce, cheese

 Next layer: pasta, bechamel, cheese

 Continue to layer pasta until the sauce is used up.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Baked Lasagna!  Enjoy!

Note: I let the pasta rest for at least 10 minutes before I cut it. 
 It's easier to get out of the pan, if you do and the pieces stay together.

No comments: