Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Butter

I love apple butter! Typically, it full of sugar or HFCS....not allowed here.  So I found this post for crock pot apple butter.   I don't have a crock pot.  Why, you ask, a few years ago we sold EVERYTHING, and moved to Italy.  (Massive amount of photos on my other blog, LitlequeenRules.) I had to get rid of all my small appliances since the electric is different in Italy.  We came back and I have not replaced anything except a coffee maker which I missed so much!  I do like espresso but being an American I missed my "dirty water" as the Italians call it!
ANYWAY, I took Haley's recipe and made it my own.

I started with apples!!...

1 red delicious
2 gala
2 granny smith
3 honeycrisp

Then I peeled, cored and chopped and put into a pot ....

with:
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (it is so much better tasting when you grind your own, I use a micro plane)
1 cup apple cider or juice or water (we got a great tasting apple cider from Trader Joe's)
1/3 cup raw honey

Cook on medium for about 20-30 minutes. The reduce to low for at least 2 hours. 

then you get this....

I have an immersion blender - a huge deal I got about 4 years ago from kitchenaid.com - I took this to Italy with me.  I pureed the apple mixture until it was smooth.
Then I reduced the liquid by half or so... you can cook it down until you like the consistency.


It will look like this one!
I got this many containers....I am freezing them because I have not gotten a stock pot yet to can with.

6 1/2 cup containers into the freezer and the 1 cup container into the fridge!  Sophia really liked the apple butter.  She ate some with Fage greek yogurt last night and asked me to pack a container of the yogurt and apple butter for her lunch today!

No comments: